Saurer Club: Fresh wind in the depot

RENOVATION Two years ago, the "Oldtimer Club Saurer" (OCS) acquired a hall for the Saurer Museum from HRS Real Estate at a very reasonable price. This has now been extensively renovated - also thanks to a lot of voluntary work by the members. The warehouse, known as the "Saurer Museum Depot", was officially inaugurated on September 22. "For the OCS and for the [...]

Saurer Museum
The Saurer logo pointed the way to the depot. It hung on the ladder of a Saurer N4C from 1951, once a fire engine for the city of St. Gallen.

On September 22, the storage hall known as the "Saurer Museum Depot" was officially inaugurated. "The new depot is vital for the OCS and the museum. Our spare parts are now stored centrally, our large collection is protected and thus secured for posterity," the classic car club announced. The rent that was spent on all the external depots can now be used to pay the mortgage interest on the new depot, it was further explained. In the depot, which will be open to the public every day, Saurer vehicles from the B, C and D series, weaving and embroidery machines, many engines and functional models of all types can be seen.

First drive with the Saurer Caminhao
The "rollout" of the Saurer Caminhão was celebrated at the same time as the opening of the new depot. The Caminhão (the Portuguese word for truck) was exported to Brazil by Saurer in 1911. In 2003, the OCS brought the oldie back to Arbon and restored it in many hours of voluntary work. Now the Caminhão stood in front of its birthplace, the new depot, ready to convince OCS members, patrons and visitors of its roadworthiness on a short drive around the Saurer site.

Saurer Museum
OCS President Rudolf Baer opened the new depot. Many hours of work lie behind him and his team

The depot is no substitute for the museum
A number of vehicles are still waiting for their second life in the depot. Engines, gearboxes and lots of technical equipment are neatly stored. Much of it has remained hidden from the public in one of the external depots - until now. However, the depot does not replace the much-visited museum, which shows the history of the Saurer company directly on the shores of Lake Constance.

Saurer Museum
The star of the depot opening was the 1911 Saurer Caminhão.
The truck was rebuilt part by part.

www.saurermuseum.ch

(Visited 275 times, 1 visits today)

More articles on the topic